In this assignment I was required to create my own brief and project which focuses on a specific interest. I started of by researching into what i could do for it, i like a lot of things so i didn’t really research every avenue just the ones that i more generally tend to focus on, on a frequent basis they were, films/documentaries, photography, music, quotes and football. These were the topics i wanted to focus on this time round because at the moment these are my main interests. To narrow it down i wanted to pick two to combine and i decided i would pick photography and football one because i have never done a project on football and two because i enjoy looking at visually stimulating images they are good for the eyes i believe. I decided to create a football fanzine at first it was suppose to be a magazine but after a few meetings with the tutor we found what i was producing was a fanzine. So the intention of the project was to create a football fanzine based on the midfield position in football and give insight into that position of play.
As i was creating the fanzine I wasn’t that confident about the layout of it and using InDesign (a program i was unfamiliar with). However I had another module which was using the same program (Layout) where we had to redesign a magazine so i would definitely be able to pick up skills a lot quicker because of the hours spent using that particular software. I was able to learn layout elements such margins, columns, grids etc to help produce the fanzine in Indesign.
The things that went well with the fanzine was the actual production; using Indesign i was able to place where i wanted certain features, articles, and images for example and this helped the production come along as i was not printing it i felt using Indesign could allow the viewer to see how grids, columns and margins were used.
I think the things that didn’t go so well with the production of the fanzine was the fact i kept changing my mind and ideas at different intervals which kept disrupting the flow at which i worked on it and giving me less time to make changes at a latter stage. At first it was going to be a magazine that featured a poster but then that changed to a fanzine without any posters, as i had taken my own images to feature in the fanzine i initially was suppose to give them an effect or manipulate them in a way, i decided not to do that anymore because once i had seen how it looked, i felt it ruined the overall flow of the fanzine, i couldn’t use all the images that i had taken as some were not that great in quality which meant i had to mix them with images from the internet and seen as it was a fanzine it would have been better to use my own.
After showing someone my fanzine (Pete Micklewright) he said he liked it but i should change a few things if i was ever wondering to publish it, concerning the discussion i had with him i would change the front cover, the mathshead should go at the top (but i was trying to do something different), the mathshead for each new page should be different for example Pete mentioned the title ‘Killer Pass’ could have a jagged K for the word killer as it would give off the right connotations associated with the illustration, i would change the styling as i need to have my own sort of dynamic style for the fanzine (maybe a lack of research on my part contributed to that), maybe colours tints, colour shadows etc, and lastly i would change maybe some of the page’s layouts as i felt a better use of grids would have helped me along the way but as i was still learning the software i would obviously be quite inaccurate with some of my decisions.
Overall i was satisfied i was able to create a project for one of my main interests, the errors i made are something to consider for futures products.